Monday 14 March 2016

Chocolate and Almond Butter Nicecream.


If ever there were a match made in heaven, then it would undoubtedly be chocolate and almond butter. If you've not yet enjoyed the delight that is this combination, then your life needs an overhaul because quite frankly, you are missing out. And, if you have tried this choc/almond heavenly combination before, then you will know of its goodness already and hopefully understand what I mean when I say I'm addicted.

But there's a wee little problem in that chocolate and almond butter aren't exactly the quintessential 'health foods'. See, the way I came to discover this great and outstanding combination of foods was actually through some new vegan ice-cream stocked in my local supermarket. Whilst delicious, ice-cream, chocolate and almond butter weren't exactly the foods that I wanted to be eating too much of, regardless of how delicious they tasted. So, I set out to make them into foods that I could eat lots of which wasn't very difficult because of the joy that is nicecream. (N.B. not a typo, as my mother thought it was.)

Nicecream is basically frozen banana, that's blended up and like magic it turns into a creamy, ice-cream like substance, yet healthy, hence the name 'nice' cream. Banana is unique in that the naturally occurring and healthy sugars in the fruit turn creamy and delicious when blended. Conversely, other fruit is often ice-like and watery when its frozen and blended. Additionally, a lot of skeptics (i.e. my housemate) don't believe me when I say that when you take nice cream and add other flavours, it genuinely does not taste like banana. To be truthful, this semi freaks me out because obviously it's made from banana, but when you add chocolate and almond butter, IT LEGIT TASTES JUST LIKE CHOCOLATE AND ALMOND BUTTER - i.e. delicious and creamy and amazing, sans fruity banana taste. What a dream. Don't believe me? Well, that's cool - the less you eat, the more banana, chocolate and almond butter there is in the world for me to eat, although in the spirit of sharing good things, I would 17/10 recommend you try this.



Ingredients;

2 large bananas, peeled and frozen overnight
2 heaped tbsp raw cacao powder
2 tbsp pure maple syrup
2 tbsp pure almond butter
3/4 cup coconut/almond milk

1. Remove the bananas from the freezer and chop them up. Add them to the blender along with all the other ingredients and blend on high speed for several minutes. The longer you blend, the creamier the nice cream will be, so I recommend blending until its well combined (a few minutes + a few scrapes down of the sides of the blender/persistence) and then blend for another few minutes for optimum levels of creamy deliciousness.
2. Scoop out of the blender and serve - my suggestions for toppings are my Chocolate and Hazelnut Granola and fresh berries!





No comments:

Post a Comment