Friday 18 March 2016

Smashed Avocado with Pear and Walnuts.


You could argue that this is a very strange combination, which is a thought that I wouldn't necessarily disagree with, but sometimes the best surprises come from where we least expect them and all I'm going to say is that this is one tasty combination!

I was inspired by the absolutely adorable baby pears that have been in the supermarkets in Australia lately. If you've never seen a baby pear, then please take my word for it when I say they're so damn cute that you'll just want to buy some to have in your kitchen/house to look at and marvel about the cuteness. I know this because this happened to me. I was grocery shopping and I chanced upon the baby pears and next minute, I found myself in possession of some baby pears. But, I'm very passionate about not wasting food, so now that I had the baby pears in my fruit bowl, I had to make something with them. 

Enter a craving for some smashed avocado, a rummage through the pantry to see what was there and a pot on my balcony full of thyme that is verging on out on control and voila! That's how this mighty delicious toast came to be! 

While this is a remarkably uncomplicated recipe - I mean, it is toast after all - I thought I'd put it in words for two reasons; 1. It's very tasty and good things should be shared, and 2. I have a multitude of assignments I should be doing, so naturally I have chosen to do anything but those aforementioned assignments. You're welcome. 





Ingredients;

Some bread to make some toast. This is rather open ended, and you could use any type of bread you like, with my personal preference and recommendation being for some multigrain sourdough
*N.B. if you're gluten intolerant, obviously please use a gluten free bread*

1 ripe avocado
1 baby pear/small pear
Cracked black pepper
Fresh thyme leaves
Handful walnuts, roughly chopped

1. This is all very simple. Basically you put the bread in the toaster, and while that's doing it's thing, chop the avocado in half, scoop the flesh out into a bowl, mash it with a fork, crack a little pepper in there too, mix it around. 
2. When the toast is cooked, spread the avo over the top, and then thinly slice the pear, layer it over the top and sprinkle with the chopped walnuts, thyme leaves and some extra pepper for good measure.
3. Hmmmm YUMMMMMM. 

No comments:

Post a Comment