Friday 15 April 2016

Soba Noodle Stir-Fry with Tamari Tofu and Veggies.


I'm slightly obsessed with stir-frys and noodles and tamari tofu and vegetables. I particularly like to combine all of these loves into one singular dish, which is basically what happened.

I also have instigated a new weekly goal. So, basically every Monday before I get out of bed, I set a goal for the week, or an intention. This week I decided to EAT MORE GREENS.

As a vegan, I eat relatively healthy as it is. I do a moderate amount of exercise, so I eat quite a lot of food and I'm mindful of the fact that whole grains, fresh fruit and veg and unrefined sugars need to form the majority of what I eat. That's not to say I don't indulge, and in actual fact you'll find me indulging almost on a daily basis, but in general the vast majority of what I eat is wholegrain carbs, like rice and pasta and fresh fruit and veggies. So, kind of by default, I guess I already eat plenty of greens as far as the standard person's food intake is concerned. But, there is always room for improvement, and that was my goal this week - to improve by eating more greens than I usually would.

Things have gone relatively well. though a goal such as this is something I feel I will continually work on. Nevertheless, I had some lunchtime cravings one day for noodles and tofu - i.e. not green vegetables. But, instead of just giving up on my goal, I decided to incorporate it into what I felt like eating, which is how this dish came to be.

This is a seriously good meal if I don't say so myself. Full of beautiful Asian-inspired flavours, fresh vegetables and the heavenly delight that is soba noodles, I'm fairly certain I've found a new dinner time staple!!




Ingredients;

The Tofu
125gm tofu
4 tbsp tamari (or reduced salt soy sauce - but use tamari if you're gluten intolerant)
Approx. 4 tbsp cornflower
2 tbsp sesame oil

1. Remove the tofu from the packaging. Use a sharp knife to slice the tofu into pieces approx. 0.5cm thick and 2cm wide - at least 6 pieces. Take a plate and lay some absorbent paper towel on the plate. Lay the pieces of tofu onto the towel and cover with another piece of absorbent towel. Place this in the fridge for about two hours with something heavy sitting on the top (i.e. a skillet or bottle of milk, etc.). Using something heavy is important in helping to drain the tofu of any excess water which will inevitably be stored in the tofu from its packaging. Soggy tofu will never go crispy and will not absorb flavour as well as properly drained tofu.
2. After approx. two hours retrieve the tofu from under previously mentioned heavy object. Grab a container that has a lid and lay the tofu strips into the container, then pour the tamari over the top. Depending on how large your container is you may need more tamari, because you should use enough to cover all the pieces so that they all absorb some of the sauce. Place the lid on and put the container in the fridge for at least a few hours (minimum) though the tofu will keep in the fridge.
3. When the tofu has  marinated, remove it from the fridge. On a chopping board, sprinkle the cornflower generously. Taking one strip of tofu at a time, cover it well in the cornflower, before gently dusting off any excess. Repeat for all the strips.
4. Take a fry pan and place it over the heat. You want quite a hot pan, so turn the heat towards the higher end of the spectrum. Pour approx. 2 tbsp sesame oil into the pan and allow to heat. Do not use olive oil as it doesn't handle such hot temperatures as well as sesame oil (coconut oil is also another option that will work well, although you will end up with quite a different flavour). Carefully place all of the strips into the pan and cook for a minute or two on each side until they are a light golden brown. When cooked, remove from the heat and place on a new sheet of absorbent towel to remove any excess oil.

*N.B. Alternatively, if you're in a hurry, use some pre-marinated tofu from the supermarket. 

The Stir Fry
180gm soba noodles  Approx. 10 stalks broccolini
Approx. 10 stalks asparagus
Large handful fresh snow peas
1 cup bean shoots
3 shallots, finely sliced
Handful fresh coriander
Sesame seeds (to serve)

The Sauce
3 cloves garlic, minced
2 tsp tamarind paste
1 tbsp coconut sugar
4 tbsp tamari
2 tbsp water
Juice of a fresh lime

1. Bring a saucepan of water to boil and cook the soba noodles as per the packet instructions. When cooked, drain and rinse.
2. Take a large fry-pan and drizzle in a small amount of sesame seed oil. Allow to warm up (on medium heat).
3. Meanwhile, chop the broccolini and asparagus stalks in half before putting them in the pan to cook.
4. Take a small, airtight container and add all the sauce ingredients. Put the lid on and shake vigorously to combine. Add half the sauce to the pan with the cooking veggies.
5. Cook the asparagus and broccolini for around 5 minutes before adding in the bean shoots, shallots, coriander and snow peas. Add in the pre-cooked tofu at this stage. Add in to cooked soba noodles and mix through along with the remainder of the sauce.
6. Serve with some additional fresh coriander, a squeeze of fresh lime juice and a sprinkling of sesame seeds!


No comments:

Post a Comment